The fabric of history is an often misunderstood garment. While it seems simple enough (man spread out from Africa, couple thousand years of war, exponential growth of technology, etc), there’s much about history that we don’t realize. Oddly enough, much of that has to do with our understanding of technology over time.
Thanks to the ever entertaining and strangle knowledgeable users of Reddit, the truth of what history really looks like has been revealed. Here are things you never realized happened at the same time.
1. When pilgrims were landing on Plymouth Rock, you could already visit what is now Santa Fe, New Mexico to stay at a hotel, eat at a restaurant and buy Native American silver.
2. Prisoners began to arrive to Auschwitz a few days after McDonald’s was founded.
3. The first wagon train of the Oregon Trail heads out the same year the fax machine is invented.
4. Nintendo was founded in 1888, the same year the Washington Monument was finished. Jack the Ripper was also on the loose at this time.
5. 1912 saw the maiden voyage of the Titanic as well as the birth of vitamins, x-ray crystallography, and MDMA.
6. 1971: The year in which America drove a lunar buggy on the moon and Switzerland gave women the right to vote.
7. NASA’s Gemini program was winding down at the same time as plate tectonics, as we know it today, was becoming refined and accepted by the scientific community.
8. Spain was still a fascist dictatorship when Microsoft was founded.
9. There were no classes in calculus in Harvard’s curriculum for the first few years because calculus hadn’t been discovered yet.
10. Two empires [Roman & Ottoman] spanned the entire gap from Jesus to Babe Ruth.
11. When the pyramids were being built, there were still woolly mammoths.
12. The last use of the guillotine was in France the same year Star Wars came out.
13. Oxford University was over 300 years old when the Aztec Empire was founded.
14. Pablo Picasso died the year Pink Floyd released “Dark Side of the Moon” (1973)
15. Marilyn Monroe and Queen Elizabeth II were born in the same year.
16. Mozart was entering the height of his career at the same time that America was declaring independence as a nation.
17. The filing cabinet was invented the same year as the remote control boat, and 30 years before sliced bread