An America’s Got Talent stunt went horribly wrong on Tuesday, August 2, when a woman accidentally fired a red-hot arrow into her fiancé’s throat on live television. Canadian stunt man Ryan Stock was set to impress the judges with a death-defying stunt — until it literally went up in flames.
Stock had just fed a pole, with a bullseye attached, down his throat, when his fiancée, AmberLynn Walker, prepared the already-lit arrow. But her aim left a little to be desired, and when she pulled the trigger, the flaming arrowhead hit his neck, rather than the target.
Stock was seen grappling with his throat, clearly panicked. “You’re not on fire,” host Nick Cannon said, trying to reassure him.
However Stock’s show clearly couldn’t go on, and the judges urged him to seek medical treatment, despite him insisting he was OK. “Why are we judging this act?” Simon Cowell said. “Amber just shot Ryan and he needs to go to a hospital now! I’m being serious.”
Howie Mandel reiterated Cowell’s fears, insisting, “We have to be responsible here — you are hurt.”
Fortunately, before cutting for a commercial break, Cannon let the viewers know that Stock had been “checked out” and appeared to be OK.
Speaking to Us Weekly after the show, Cowell addressed the horrific moment. “I’ve heard he was OK, but this has never happened before. We always kid that they need to make it more dangerous, but then this happens. I thought it was part of the act, but then I realized this was bad. I just had a feeling, they looked nervous before they started. But he’s OK.”
The daredevil quarter finalists are renowned for their jaw-dropping stunts and have left Klum grossed out by their other acts, which have included Stock swallowing an electric drill and dangerously balancing a chainsaw in his mouth.
Watch the video below:
This article originally appeared on Us Weekly.