Earlier this week, the world’s gaze was once again drawn to France as they became the target of another terrorist attack. As the crowd celebrated the end of Bastille Day in Nice, they were ignorant to the events that would follow. Moments later, a truck ploughed into a crowd killing 84 people (at the time of writing).
In the wake of the attack, numerous stories of tragedy and loss have circulated the internet. Now the chilling series of texts that the killer, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, sent minutes before he committed the awful atrocity have been released.
According to reports, the terrorist requested the “heaviest truck” available in order to slaughter his innocent victims and injure hundreds – 18 of which are in a critical condition in hospital (at time of writing) – who were watching a fireworks display along the Nice Riviera.
Furthermore, Bouhlel was spotted on CCTV driving up and down the Promenade des Anglais two days before he unleashed carnage planning and preparing for the barbaric act he later committed.
Details have since emerged of the final texts Bouhlel sent before he wreaked havoc along the Nice Riviera. The phone was found alongside the killer’s ID card in the cabin of his bullet riddled vehicle.
According to judicial sources quoted by French TV, one message read: “Bring more weapons. Bringing in 5”.
Another read: “‘It’s good. I have the equipment.”
The final chilling message was sent at 10.27pm, three minutes before he stepped on the gas and maimed everything in his path. It read: “Bringing in five to C”.
At time of writing, it is not clear who the messages were sent to. However, seven people have been arrested in connection with the attack. This includes a man and woman who were arrested this morning, and the killer’s estranged wife who has remained in police custody since Saturday morning.
The texts were not the only messages Bouhlel sent in the build-up to the attack. The Mirror reported that the 31-year-old killer had made a chirpy phone call to his brother six and a half hours before causing widespread destruction.
His brother, Jaber Bouhlel, 19, said:
“He sent a selfie and told me he was happy and everything in his life was normal.
“Later when we heard about what was happening in Nice we started to send him messages asking if he was all right. We here were sending him messages until two in the morning.”
Our thoughts go out to the city of Nice, the victims, and everyone who has been affected by this abominable act of evil.
This article originally appeared on the Daily Mail.