What happens when snake venom comes into contact with human blood? A video uploaded by BBC Earth Unplugged provides an answer.
BBC host Maddie Moate donated 10 milliliters of her own blood and then mixed it with the hemotoxic venom from a saw-scaled viper, the snake family responsible for the most snake bite-related deaths in the world.
The venom triggered the coagulation cascade which morphed the blood from its liquid form into a substance akin to “jelly.” As Moate explained, victims of saw-scaled viper snack bites commonly die of blood clots that form shortly after the venom makes its way into the bloodstream.
This article originally appeared on The Blaze.